Memory Care Portland – Dementia Care Portland Oregon
Before a new resident arrives at Emerson House, every effort is made to create a gentle and welcoming transition. This begins with a comprehensive assessment, which includes the prospective resident, their family and physician. Our next step is to develop a customized plan of memory care taking into consideration the resident’s social history and medical needs along with recreational interests, spiritual dimensions and other personal issues to ensure their well-being and comfort.
Personal needs are given top priority at Emerson House. Our building design allows the professional staff to provide comprehensive twenty-four hour care. The compassionate and specially-trained staff is ready to respond to emergencies, manage medicines and monitor the health of each resident according to their customized plan of care.
Emerson House offers all of its resident’s services that include:
- In addition to long-term residential care, Emerson House offers respite and adult day care services.
- Specially selected and highly skilled team to supervise all activities 24 hours each day
- Menus that are designed by a registered dietician to meet all nutritional needs including special diets
- On-site nursing care and medication management
- Full-time indoor and outdoor activities program which provides opportunity for companionship
- Family support groups and meetings
- Assistance with personal hygiene, including bathing, grooming, dressing, and incontinence management
- A highly trained housekeeping staff providing linens and personal laundry services
- Electronically secured perimeter monitored from nursing stations
- Secured and inviting outdoor garden and verandas where families can gather
- Fully monitored fire protection
- Optional services include: Beauty and barber salon, professional foot care clinic and massage therapy
For those with Alzheimer’s disease or other memory impairment, the physical environment can be a big factor in how comfortable, calm and secure they feel. Spaces that are too large, with too many people, can be over-stimulating. Communities that are very small generally cannot financially support the diverse staff necessary to ensure the highest level of service.
Emerson House was designed and built in 1999 specifically for those with cognitive and memory impairments. Many architectural details were incorporated into the building design to support residents with dementia including therapeutic lighting, hand-rail accessibility in hallways, and layout of the residential floors.
Located on the ground floor of Emerson House are the administrative offices, kitchen, laundry facilities, salon, conference room, and the Adult Day Program. Above us are the two residential floors with capacity for 20 residents on each floor. A unique aspect of Emerson House is the separation between the two residential floors. The 2nd and 3rd floors are identical in design, layout, and décor, but the 2nd floor is designated for residents who are more impaired and the 3rd floor is designated for residents who are less impaired. This allows us the ability to design Life Enrichment programs that cater to the specific needs of the two populations.
Stepping off the elevator onto the residential floor, you immediately find yourself in the living room of our resident’s home. The living room is the hub of activity here at Emerson House, with comfortable chairs for reclining and décor designed to comfort our residents. Just off the living room is the dining room, with an attached kitchenette. Although all food is cooked in the large commercial kitchen on the ground floor, it is important to have kitchenettes to maintain the home-like atmosphere and to store snacks and midnight treats for residents who are unable to sleep. All of the resident rooms are located around the perimeter of the building, with windows for each resident’s sleeping area. Our activity room is a vibrant space we use for art projects, games, interactive groups, and typically you can find one of our house cats napping in them. Additionally on each of the residential floors is an attached, secure, covered outdoor patio for our residents and families to enjoy.